Sunday, March 1, 2009

Mayhaw! Yams! Honey!


Mayhaw, Yams, Honey!, originally uploaded by houstonfoodie.

I'm a sucker for roadside produce markets.

This one exists on I-10 between Beaumont and Houston at the Anahuac exit. I suppose it's been here off-and-on for the last 5-10 years. It is definitely the biggest it's ever been.

The produce is mostly mass-produced, with some local strawberries and honey. The quality of the produce is excellent. I imagine this market serves and important role in the community — there's probably not a real supermarket within a 100 miles of this location.

I picked up some Louisiana Beauregard Yams and some paper shell pecans. Both very good.

Stop by if you are headed east on I-10.


View Larger Map

2 comments:

Joe White said...

Dude,

you know of anyplace to find Mayhaw jelly in Houston?

Nitpick: if it is between Beaumont & Houston, then it is less than 100 miles to a supermarket, since it is 83 miles from downtown Beaumont to downtown Houston.

lallison said...

Have you tried Kroger or HEB? Both usually have specialty jams. The HEB by my house has it right by the produce on split timber shelves. I think I've seen it several places.